In November last year I released my first complete game, a puzzle game called “Amazeface”. You can get it now for free at amazeface.com.

I started working on the game in 2013. Since I had made endless prototypes and started so many games without finishing them, I decided to make something extremely simple and then actually finish it. The most simple thing I could think of, that would even be a game, was a box that could only move in four directions and not change direction before colliding with a wall. I then added simple add on mechanics like pushable crates and “bouncers” that would shoot you 90 degrees to the side. The first version, that even featured a custom level editor that I built (out of frustration of the GM room editor), was made in Game Maker and looked like this:

Looking back there is a certain charm to the pixel art that sort of got lost later but all things considered I’m glad I ended up changing it. So what did I change? Well, I tried Unity. And fell in love. I decided that although I had a working game with a few levels and a custom level editor in Game Maker, I would make the sane choice of scrapping all that and begin from scratch using C# and Unity. Since I work as a 3D artist getting started with Unity was a very pleasant experience. I felt like the editor was built for me. Since this was merely a hobby project I progressed slowly but after a while I had recreated the main assets in 3D and got the mechanics working. The game now looked like this:

I made the first version while still learning the basics of C# so the code ended up very messy. I decided to, hopefully for the last time, refactor and completely rewrite all code from scratch. It payed out since the resulting code was cleaner, faster and had almost no bugs. The refactor made me a bit fatigued though and I felt that I needed a place to post about the progress to keep me motivated, so I started a DevLog at TIGSource. I got a lot of support and kind words that kept me going. If you want to read more about how I moved from the rough prototype above to a finished game, you can read more about it over there.

The finished game

In November 2016 I finally finished the game and at release it featured 72 levels and a built in level editor. Amazeface is not perfect in any way, it has a very steep learning curve and some levels I’m not too happy with, but I’m really proud that after three years on an off I finally finished and released my first game. That was always my goal, to actually finish something that I was happy with and releasing it to the public. This is what the finished game looks like:

Thanks a lot for reading! If you like challenging (very hard) puzzle games, please try it and let me know what you think! Download for free at amazeface.com.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *